4 large eggs
1 ½ cups milk
¾ teaspoon salt
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons melted butter
To serve —
- Warm the eggs by placing them UN-CRACKED in a medium bowl and cover with hot water (as hot as your tap will go).
- Let them sit for 10 minutes. THIS IS KEY — I tried making these without doing this and ... not as big and fluffy!
- Preheat the oven to 450° F and move the oven rack to a low position (to prepare for huge popovers!).
- Grease the popover pan thoroughly inside each cup as well as around the top edges.
- With your whisk, beat together the eggs, milk, salt, and Wood's Maple Sugar until they are combined. The yolks should be completely blended in.
- Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is frothy and all large lumps are gone. Then quickly stir in the melted butter.
- Divide the batter between the prepared popover cups. They should be about 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake the popovers for 20 minutes and then reduce the heat to 350°F. Bake for another 10 or 15 minutes. The popovers will be very golden brown.
eat immediately with butter and strawberry jam ... at least that's what I do!