Wood's Ginger Bread Cookies
NATIONAL GINGERBREAD DAY
Many people are familiar with the gingerbread house at Christmas time, however, there are some delicious gingerbread bread, cake, bars, biscuit and cookie recipes that are perfect any time of the year. Each year on June 5, gingerbread lovers across the nation observe National Gingerbread Day, a day that was created to bring attention to gingerbread.
The term “gingerbread” originally referred to preserved ginger, later referring to a confection made up of honey and spices.
It is believed that gingerbread was first brought to Europe in 992 by an Armenian monk. He lived there for seven years teaching gingerbread cooking to the French priests and Christians until his death in 999. Sources indicate that in 1444, Swedish nuns were baking gingerbread to ease indigestion.In the 17th century, gingerbread biscuits were sold in monasteries, pharmacies and town square farmers markets. During the 18th century, gingerbread became widely available.
1 cup Wood's Traditional Maple Syrup
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ml ground cloves
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
1 egg yolk
1 tsp baking powder, dissolved in boiling water
Maple butter for decorating
- In a skillet over low heat, heat maple syrup and butter. Add ginger, cloves and cinnamon; stir and remove from heat to cool. Set aside.
- Into a large bowl, sift 1-1/2 cups of the flour. Make a well in the center and add the maple syrup mixture, egg yolk and dissolved baking powder; mix well. Knead mixture, adding remaining flour to obtain firm dough that does not stick to the sides of the bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line a large baking sheet.
- Using a rolling-pin, on a floured surface roll out dough until 1/4-inch thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out a variety of shapes. Place on baking sheet; bake on top oven rack until cookies are slightly golden, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven; cool.
- Using maple butter and decorative icing as the glue, decorate the cookies with an assortment of sugars and mini candies, if desired.