3 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons Wood’s Vermont Maple Sugar
½ teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon cream of tartar
¾ cup COLD butter
1 ½ cup whole milk
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons Jalapeño peppers – chopped* -optional
Preheat oven to 400° F.
- The secret to excellent biscuits is COLD BUTTER. Really cold. Do not let the butter soften before the biscuits even go in the oven.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Use a pastry cutter to cut cold butter into the flour mixture, creating pea-sized pieces of butter throughout the dough.
- Whisk the milk and egg then add until the ingredients are combined.
- Add Jalapeno peppers and combine them into the dough.* (optional)
- The dough will be sticky but don't keep working it. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a generously floured surface. Sprinkle some flour onto the top of the dough so it won't stick to your fingers and knead 10-15 times. If the dough is super sticky just sprinkle on some additional flour.
Pat or roll the dough out to ¾ 11-inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass. I can get up to 12 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits on a lightly greased baking sheet or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown on top.
- For extra yumminess, brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter...
- Bake for 15—17 minutes.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.