Traditional Bread Recipe
- 1 pkg. active dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water (105 to 115 degrees)
- ½ cup lukewarm milk (scalded then cooled)
¼ cup Wood's Vermont Maple Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup butter
- 3-4 cups flour
Dissolve yeast and warm water into a mixing bowl and let sit until the yeast starts to bubble (If your water is chlorinated you may need to use bottled water. The chlorine can kill the yeast.).
- Stir in milk, sugar, salt, egg, butter, and 2 cups flour.
- Using a whisk, mix until smooth.
- Mix in enough remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough into a greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise in a warm place until doubled. The time will vary depending on room temperature and humidity.
- Punch down dough. Divide the dough according to your creations.
- Let rise for 20 minutes before baking.
- Heat oven to 375° F.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Choosing a selection results in a full page refresh.
- Opens in a new window.